Saturday, December 17, 2011

Jeju Island 제주도 time-lapses


From November 13 – November 20, 2011, I visited Jeju Island for the 12th Pacific Polymer Society meeting and for Professor Do Yeung Yoon’s retirement celebration. I had heard a lot about the beautiful scenery on Jeju, and was looking forward to taking some time-lapse clips while there.

Unfortunately, on Tuesday morning, our second day on the island and the day I was to give my poster presentation, I slipped and cut my hand… er… um… I mean I was fighting a jeju ninja while saving a damsel in distress and he managed to cut my hand with his sword before I dispatched him. Anyway, whichever story you believe, I had to go to the hospital, which was very small, and got my hand sewn up with 13 stiches. Ouch! Guess how much it cost? Only a little less than 7,000 KRW which is about $6. Needless to say, this tempered my photography plans a bit. However, I was still able to get some very cool shots. And, my hand is healing nicely (now about 1 month later), though I’ll probably always carry a scar.



On the first day of the conference, the weather was quite good, so I left early to capture the sunset on the beach. The conference was at the Shilla Hotel in the south part of Jeju in the Jeongmun Resort area. I walked out past the Hyatt Hotel on the beach and set up to take a time-lapse of the sunset. Below is a map where the green arrow indicates the approximate spot I set up my camera. The Hyatt and Shilla Hotels are to the right.


View Larger Map

I took 619 photos in this location starting at about 4:30 pm and finishing at about 6 pm. It was a bit cold and windy, but not too bad. Birger Freisinger, Michael Meister, Fabain Etzold, and Valentin Kamm, some students from Germany I met over the summer stopped by midway through the shoot which was a welcome distraction as shooting time-lapse clips can sometimes be a bit boring. Below is a single frame from this spot. For those interested the camera settings were 24 mm at F/13 and ISO 100. For shutter speed, I changed 8-10 times during the shot starting with 1/125 s and ending at 1 s.  It was a bit dark walking back, but I'm used to walking on rocks, so no problem for me.


click the photos to see a bigger version^^
After finishing I met up with the German students and the Korean students I was staying with and we had  제주 흑돼지 - Jeju black pork. We also met a nice albino cat with great eyes, who acquiesced to a few photos after we fed him some pork fat. These three photos were shot with my relatively new 50 mm F/1.4 lens. It is good for shooting pictures in low light, but difficult to get the focus exactly where I want it.




Tuesday was the fateful day I met the jeju ninja and he cut my hand just hours before I had to give my poster presentation. Anyway, the only photo from that day was of the clinic so I could remember where it was and go back in two days to get the wound dressing changed. Many thanks to 나니 for accompanying me to the clinic and helping translate the doctor's instructions. I wonder if he found it more interesting than attending the morning presentations at the conference?


Wednesday was a much better day for photos. There were absolutely no interesting talks at the conference, so I took two timelapse clips and some video of the waves on the beach near the Shila Hotel. For the first time-lapse, I just set up near the swing where I was resting behind the Shilla Hotel. I used 24 mm F/13 and ISO 160 with shutter speed 1/80 s. I like how the sun peeks through the trees. However, I should have used a shorter shot interval, as the compilation of the images is a bit jittery. Oh, well.


Then while taking video of the waves, I snapped this photo at a shutter speed of 1/1600 s, F/4 ISO 100


For the sunset that day, I saw a breakwater from the beach where I took video of the waves which I thought would make a fantastic spot to film the sunset. It was a little awkward to get to, and from a distance, I didn't see the 5 foot (1.5 meter) high wall that I would need to climb to get my camera in a good spot. Ordinarily, this would not be an impediment, however, as you might remember, just the day before, I nearly cut my thumb off... Anyway, I managed to climb the wall and set up my camera in time to capture the sunset.


View Larger Map

Oh! I almost forgot to mention the mosquitos! They are quite vicious. I had some repellent stored in my camera bag, but even so, I received some awful bites - even through my clothing. Anyway, here is a still frame from that sunset. It was worth a few mosquito bites.


For dinner that night I joined my roommates and we had some typical seafood, including live abalone. Here is a short video of the food I took with my iPhone. Do you think I tried the abalone?



Thursday was quite dreary and rainy, but I did take a nice time-lapse from my friend Manuel Schrader's room at the Hyatt while waiting to move to a different place to stay. Incidentally, the hotels were quite expensive, so it is common to stay in what is called a 펜션 or pension in English. It's kind of like a bed & breadfast in USA. I stayed in two different ones with two different groups of people while in Jeju. The first was called green side pension and was near the Shilla hotel, but without the view.  We shared two rooms between 8 people; 4 girls, and 4 guys and it cost ~$10 each per day.


Friday, the weather sucked, so I didn't even bring my camera around. Also, it was Professor Yoon's retimrement celebration, so I sort of had to stick around. I have to say, even though I find most scientific presentations pretty boring (I know, I'm a scientist, but, well, shoot, most scientists don't give good presentations) these were much better than at the conference earlier in the week. Saturday was cold and dreary, but in the early in the morning, a bit after sunrise, the clouds outsde the place we were staying were quite captivating - so I tried to capture them. Below is a map of the approximate place of the pension and a still image from the timelapse. I simply set up my camera on the balcony and let it take photos!


View Larger Map

Later in the day, I filmed the crashing waves you see in the second half of the video here:


View Larger Map

The two other video clips after the crashing waves were filmed at an extinct volcano crater towards the middle of the island, but of course, I didn't pay attention to where, so I can't show a map.

Finally, Sunday morning our last day, I had the fortunate accident to wake up early enough in the morning to capture the sunrise on the balcony of our pension. This is one of my favorite timelapse clips - and also for those interested in technical details, it was also the first I took in aperture priority letting the camera set the exposures. I usually shoot fully manual and adjust exposure during the light changes myself and creating a lot of work in post processing to even out these changes. Shooting in aperture priority simplified things a bit (and also allowed me to go back to sleep instead of standing outside monitoring the camera). I still had to smooth out some flicker in post processing, but it didn't take as long as it does when I shoot fully manual. However, I think that this will only work for certain types of shots like this one where the light changes are gradual and there isn't a lot going on. For example, some of the street timelapses I've done (and might post blogs about later) wouldn't work in aperture priority.


So, as a final note, I'll tell you that choosing music for the video was very challenging. I basically looked in my iTunes folder and tried everything that was of a similar time to the final edit of the timelapse and video clips. I was quite pleased that one of the Lyric Pieces by Edvard Grieg fit quite well. I really like how the sections seemed to magically synchronize with the musical phrases. I hardly had to adjust the editing at all to accomplish this. Hopefully I will be so fortunate in subsequent projects.

Despite my unfortunate argument with the Jeju ninja, I had a good time in Jeju Island.

Here are a few more photos from the trip
Jeju convention center as seen from Shilla Hotel.  The breakwater is where I took one of the sunset time-lapses




Near the volcano crater

Post a Comment