Monday, May 13, 2013

Steak and Bluberries


 I learned an interesting way to cook steak the other day, so I invented a recipe to try it.

You will need:

2 rib-eye steaks
12 oz fresh (not frozen) blueberries
1/2 cup cranberry pomegranate juice (sugar free)
1 teaspoon of honey

To cook the steak - see the directions on the Modernist Cuisine blog.  I decided to use the blowtorch method, as it seemed a lot more fun.  I ordered the Blazer GT8000 Big Shot butane torch from Amazon.com.  To keep track of the steak temperature while cooking in the oven, I used the Oregon Scientific AW131.  Using the blow torch to sear the steak was indeed as fun as I thought.  If you try it, do make sure you do it in a well ventilated area.  My kitchen fan is a little weak, so I tripped the smoke alarm a few times - but no more than when I cook steak using any other method.

Here's what it looked like after finished cooking. Of course, you don't have to cook the steak this weay, but I have to say that the taste and texture of the steak was quite amazing using this technique as compared to other more conventional methods I've used before


While the steak is cooking in the oven, prepare the blueberry sauce.  In a small saucepan combine the blueberries with the cranberry pomegranate juice and honey.  Heat on medium until bubbling and then turn to low stirring occasionally until thickens a bit - about 30 min.  As it cools, it will thicken more.  Once the steaks are done, warm up the sauce a bit and then enjoy!



Post a Comment